LED Fog Light Upgrade

Brendub

Reactions
Installed H11 LED color matching fog lights to match my LED/HID headlights. Better visibility at night, I drive on a lot of country back roads and this upgrade is a must if you do the same!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions
A few questions if you don't mind...
What brand did you use? How is the beam pattern is it still "stock" or do the LED's scatter the light pattern? Most if not all LED lights (other than stock LED's) scatter the light pattern blinding oncoming cars. I hope yours doesn't. The only ones I would consider would be the Phillips or Osram LED's for 2 reasons,
they don't have fans (use heat sink instead) and they supposedly perform better as far as beam pattern goes keeping stock pattern (supposedly)....but at over $120 (pair) ouch! The LED's with (micro)fans don't last very long. A friend used the cheap ones and burned out with-in a week!
You state "country back roads" is your use if they're scattering light I guess that's ok as long as there's no on-coming cars. :)

OP
Brendub

Brendub

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
A few questions if you don't mind...
What brand did you use? How is the beam pattern is it still "stock" or do the LED's scatter the light pattern? Most if not all LED lights (other than stock LED's) scatter the light pattern blinding oncoming cars. I hope yours doesn't. The only ones I would consider would be the Phillips or Osram LED's for 2 reasons,
they don't have fans (use heat sink instead) and they supposedly perform better as far as beam pattern goes keeping stock pattern (supposedly)....but at over $120 (pair) ouch! The LED's with (micro)fans don't last very long. A friend used the cheap ones and burned out with-in a week!
You state "country back roads" is your use if they're scattering light I guess that's ok as long as there's no on-coming cars. :)
My LED's were purchased through a friend who has his own automotive lighting company and cost me $130 for a pair and aren't cheap eBay garbage. As far as scattering beam pattern I'm not sure what you mean but have driven behind friends and even passed them oncoming and never got any complaints ? As far as brands go they are his own brand he developed.

Reactions
As far as scattering beam pattern I'm not sure what you mean
Maybe I should have asked is the fog light beam pattern the same as before you put LED lights in...a nice sharp low cut off or does light go in places it didn't before. Easy enough to tell I'd think. Let's say you're 50ft behind a car at night do your fogs light up the car in front of you, or do the fogs pattern just go under the car. If you're lighting up anything on the car above the bumper 50ft away that's light scatter.
I see drivers ALL the time that use LED's in the reflector beam head lights pretty much blinding on-coming traffic...some much worse than others, to the point you can spot them coming from a long distance lighting up the trees and everything else.
Maybe post some pics of the beam pattern on a wall while your parked level.

Reactions
Does your friend have a website where I can see the lights? Do you have any problems with them flashing when you first turn them on??

Reactions
A website for your friend would be great. I am looking to do led swap on my fogs as well cause it looks weird and uneven with factory led head lights.

Lew Bob

Reactions
Maybe I should have asked is the fog light beam pattern the same as before you put LED lights in...a nice sharp low cut off or does light go in places it didn't before. Easy enough to tell I'd think. Let's say you're 50ft behind a car at night do your fogs light up the car in front of you, or do the fogs pattern just go under the car. If you're lighting up anything on the car above the bumper 50ft away that's light scatter.
I see drivers ALL the time that use LED's in the reflector beam head lights pretty much blinding on-coming traffic...some much worse than others, to the point you can spot them coming from a long distance lighting up the trees and everything else.
Maybe post some pics of the beam pattern on a wall while your parked level.
I installed DeAuto LED lights in my 2019 Alltrack S and the cut off is precisely where the stock lights were. I put tape on the garage wall marking the stock cut off and compared before and after. There are some companies doing these lights correctly.

Reactions
City
Winchester
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Alltrack S
I installed DeAuto LED lights in my 2019 Alltrack S and the cut off is precisely where the stock lights were. I put tape on the garage wall marking the stock cut off and compared before and after. There are some companies doing these lights correctly.
Please tell more about the DeAuto! Low or high beam? What color? Were you satisfied with the increased light? Did you need the error/antiflicker thing?
Thanks, Mike

Lew Bob

Reactions
The lights are great. Much brighter. They are just a tiny bit blue but much better than the yellow of the stock lights. I just used them on the low beams. They were a pain to install. I posted about my experience on the DeAuto facebook page. Scroll down to my July 30th post. https://www.facebook.com/groups/deAutoLED/

Lew Bob

Reactions
Please tell more about the DeAuto! Low or high beam? What color? Were you satisfied with the increased light? Did you need the error/antiflicker thing?
Thanks, Mike
What VW do you have?

Reactions
City
Winchester
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Alltrack S
What VW do you have?
Just got a 2019 Red Alltrack S delivered to my house in NW VA yesterday noon. Actually I just came back from my first night drive around some gravel roads and sthe stock halogens are not bad at all, but I have LEDs on other cars so I'm leaning this way for the Alltrack too.

Lew Bob

Reactions
I am in my 70's so the extra brightness really helps, especially if it is raining. I have yet to drive it in snow. You have the same Alltrack I do, so definitely spend some time on the posts on DeAuto checking install picks and videos. It was really tough for me, even with small hands, to get the driver's side installed until I went through the wheelwell.

Reactions
City
Winchester
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Alltrack S
I am in my 70's so the extra brightness really helps, especially if it is raining. I have yet to drive it in snow. You have the same Alltrack I do, so definitely spend some time on the posts on DeAuto checking install picks and videos. It was really tough for me, even with small hands, to get the driver's side installed until I went through the wheelwell.
I'm 76 and share your light requirements; however as I said, at low speeds on back roads half an hour ago stock was fine.

I just ordered some M-tech Powertec h7 halogen extra bright130% low beams on ebay for $4/pair shipped.

I know you aren't interested but somebody else might be. Of course I have no idea how they work! But there's something about that focused light that brings back pre led memories.

Gray Bark

Reactions
City
Seattle
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Golf Sportwageen
Beginner's question: My 2019 Sportwagen 4Motion Owner's Manual says that halogen headlight bulbs are not a owner-serviceable part. (I'm trying not to be p---sed off by this!). Here's my question: How did you figure out how to replace the bulbs? Did you buy a service manual?

Lew Bob

Reactions
Good question. I read up on installing after-market bulbs. Use that approach and you will find that replacing the stocks is much easier. Look for a Youtube video. I don't have time to search for you.