City
Waxhaw
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2007 Audi S4 Cabriolet
My B7 S4 Cab has an intermittent starting problem. Maybe that should be stated as a "not starting problem." Either way, every once in a while after driving the car for a few minutes/miles and turning it off, it won't start when I try to re-fire the engine.

It isn't the battery, as the car has lots of power. Everything electrical works just fine, but the starter will not crank. When the starter does finally crank, the engine turns over and starts as it should. I thought it could be the clutch starter switch not engaging properly, so we changed it, but that didn't fix the problem.

This is as good a time as any to add that when this occurs there is no fault code. Nada. There is no fault code history of it ever happening, or of anything at all being wrong. Zip. My Audi mechanic has said that probably means it isn't anything in "the brain." I hope not.

The last thing I want to do is to pay a mechanic an inflated shop rate to search for the problem, eliminating one thing after another as my bill goes higher and higher. So, what's next.

Could it have anything to do with the key fob?

Could it be the column switch into which I insert and turn the key?

Could it be the receiving unit, however the #@!! that works (or doesn't), on the column ignition switch.

Could it be a solenoid on the starter?

Could it be something as simple as a short or corrosion on wiring someplace?

What the heck else could it be?

Help! I'm at my wit's end.

Attachments