Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

fixed my transmission issue, finally went into limp mode while driving

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
so i was getting issues with the transmission for years but i never knew what the issue was. the symptoms were not that apparent before, so i couldn't figure out the problem. it would act up when the weather was hot.

the story begins...
its a 2015 s3, yeah it was the first year it came out for north America. in around 2017 we had a heat wave. the transmission would act up but i never thought much about it since its a new car, might just be normal. the car would be sluggish and would jump to higher gears, which made the car lug around town all the time. kinda weird i thought but might just be normal. never had an audi before so what did i know. when the heat wave hit us, i noticed that the gears would be lower and wouldn't race to hit 6th gear. so i thought wow. that pretty good. now many people at that time would also complain that the dsg would race to a higher gear. at this time there was just the beginning of dsg remaps from a few vendors.

but, little did i know that was a symptom that would manifest more as it aged.

add a few years later when the warranty had ended, i was looking into a dsg map.
what moved the car into the next stage quicker was the aftermarket remap of the DSG. i say quicker because it wouldn't matter if didn't do the remap, it would have eventually changed for the worse. the next symptom was where the gear would slump down to 1st when coming to a stop light. not a great feeling and again i thought it was normal. but after a while, i thought if tuners could map a dsg, they might be able to remap for the slump. the funny part was when they told me that's not happening to any other car they installed it on. that struck me as weird. i took notice more because of that. the slump didn't happen before but now it did. so i kept driving but now it happens more and more often than before. so i decided to take off the dsg map and possibly use another map. i eventually did that.

you would have guess right if you said it did nothing. the blimp of the gear dropping happens still.so i decided to remove the map all together since it was annoying. the issue now, it still does it with out the mapping. wow. I'm also forgetting to mention, the weather here is, again, very hot.

you can sense the trend, heat equals to problems appearing. but i couldn't figure it out. i have done some scans but nothing shows up. i was just thinking it could be that the car is being picky but no one else is getting the same issue.

... to be continued.

Last edited:

Wicaeed

Reactions
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
FYI there is an available Transmission Control Unit flash available from the dealership that can clear up that issue.

Moved from Bay Area to Vegas and had that issue, Audi Henderson flashed the control unit (at no charge!) and that fixed the problem for me.

OP

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
Thread Starter #3
interesting. thanks for chiming in on that.
you and i were thinking on the same path but i used a different method to try that out instead.

The TCU is also similar to doing a dsg map switch. hence, doing that dealership flash would have been the same thing as me swapping different maps on the dsg at home. my outcome shows that i it didn't solve it. let me explain, as you will see how i came to my final conclusion of it being something more, and its not an uncommon issue for this to be the cause as i found out.
as i think more about it, i do remember that bulletin about software upgrades. i cant remember why i never took it in but i must have had a good reason not to.

as a FYI, having the cobb accessport does allow me to change maps as much as i like. therefore, i have been able to do all of this at home multiple times during the research phase of this issue.

also, the fix was completed last night and will be tested today. but so far with just a few miles on it after the final fix. ill do some full testing of it today.

ill continue the story later, as it does get lengthy.

Last edited: